Right To Life UK are seeking a capable, self-motivated and experienced individual to become our Media Officer, working closely with the Director of Media to develop the ongoing media strategy for the organisation and work on the implementation and day-to-date execution of this strategy.
Answering to the Director of Media, the successful candidate will have excellent interpersonal skills and be able to hit the ground running to deliver the momentum to grow the organisation’s media strategy and influence.
Salary: Competitive based upon skills & experience.
Contract: Full Time
As Media Officer your role will be:
● To work closely with the Director of Media to develop the ongoing media strategy for the organisation.
● To proactively network and build relationships with the press and media to further the goals of the organisation and the media strategy.
● To manage social media accounts for the organisation and to regularly review and optimise your digital work to ensure measurable growth.
● To be proactive in the placing of stories with appropriate journalists, editors and producers. This includes press, radio, TV, documentaries, magazines and online outlets with a specific focus on placing stories in the mainstream media.
● To be directly writing and overseeing the writing of regular op-ed pieces.
● To monitor what is happening in the media to keep the organisation, partner organisations and MPs/peers informed of developing debates and the public mood.
● To field and respond to enquiries from national and local media.
● To keep in close contact with and work with other organisations in the life issues field.
● To educate the wider public through the organisation’s public facing campaigns by producing resources, writing content for digital assets (website, social media, video transcripts etc) and drafting media briefings/press releases/opinion pieces for the media components of campaigns.
● Any other related tasks within the organisation as may be necessary.
Key skills and abilities
Knowledge and experience:
● Good honours degree
● Good knowledge of life issues and connected areas.
● A sound understanding of and commitment to the mission of the organisation.
A successful candidate will
● Have advanced written skills with the ability to write press releases, opinion pieces, speeches, digital and campaign content etc.
● Understand and engage with the latest life-issues-related research, relevant legislation and the consultation documents.
● Exhibit a rigorous approach which lends itself to methodical and accurate work produced in a timely manner to meet deadlines.
● Have strong personal and time-management skills.
● Be an excellent written and oral communicator.
● Be able to relate to people from all cultures, ethnicities and value-systems.
● Be able to hold information in confidence and build trust with those around you.
● Be positive and enthusiastic.
● Have the ability to persuade, motivate and inspire others to action.
● Be able to think strategically and innovatively.
● Be able to build and maintain external relationships.
● Have an interest in working for a life-issues-related organisation and a strong desire to play a part in influencing law and culture on these issues.
● Preferably able to demonstrate a firm commitment to life-issues-related causes through volunteer involvement with related projects in the past.
● Inspired by the work of Right To Life UK and in full agreement with the organisation’s mission and campaigning positions.
● When deadlines demand, flexible and willing to work overtime.
● When necessary, capable of working under some pressure.
● Committed to both team and unsupervised working.
● Able to avoid party political and denominational bias in your role.
● When necessary, willingness to help with tasks outside regular duties.
● An ability to bring an entrepreneurial zeal to your role and to get excited about the outcomes that you can achieve through your involvement with the organisation.
● High standards of personal discipline, reliability, honesty and integrity.
Information & Applications
To apply for this role , please click on the APPLY FOR JOB button and send your covering letter and CV
Please mention Christian Creative Directory when responding.
About Right To Life UK
Right To Life UK is a charitable organisation focused on life issues in the UK. They work to advance the recognition and preservation of human dignity, particularly through consistent protection for the right to life of every human being from conception to natural death.